View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Finding rhythm in the madness (a theory)

While I completely understand your frustration, your reaction to the play at the $10 level is just incorrect.

Lately it seems common for frustrated poker players to make comments about how badly people play online, and then go on to suggest that you can't beat these crazies by playing good poker. "Raising doesn't do any good because nobody will ever fold," etc. If you are raising with better values than the people who are calling you have, then you will win money.

Your plan to limp a lot preflop and wait for the flop is a losing strategy. Mainly because you are then always giving infinite pot-odds to the big blind, and always correct pot-odds and implied odds to the SB. I would love to play at a table where I always got to see my BB for free, and could limp from the SB with just about any 2 and be getting 5 to 1 pot-odds and implied odds of at least the size of my stack.

Despite urban legend suggesting the contrary, horrible players are easy to beat. The variance is a biyatch, for sure, but tight aggressive play is still correct. You seem to be falling victim to the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" mentality. Well, if you're joining them...

Play the right way,
Irieguy