View Single Post
Old 08-29-2004, 04:33 AM

Default Re: An IQ test for liberals (and AndyFox :) )

Some of Kerry's Waffles

Abortion

"I think the question of abortion is one that should be left for the states to decide," Kerry said during his failed 1972 Congressional bid.

("John Kerry On The Issues," The [Lowell, MA] Sun, 10/11/72)

"The right to choose is the law of the United States. No person has the right to infringe on that freedom. Those of us who are in government have a special responsibility to see to it that the United States continues to protect this right, as it must protect all rights secured by the constitution."

(Sen. John Kerry [D-MA], Congressional Record, 1/22/85)

Double taxation on dividends

"[T]o encourage investments in the jobs of the future --I think we should eliminate the tax on capital gains for investments in critical technology companies--zero capital gains on $100 million issuance of stock if it's held for 5 years and has created real jobs. And we should attempt to end the double taxation of dividends."

(Sen. John Kerry, Remarks At The City Club Of Cleveland, 12/3/02)

Throughout 2003, Kerry opposed President Bush's tax plan, which, according to Bush, would eliminate the "double taxation on dividends." In May, Kerry voted against the final plan, which cut but didn't eliminate the tax on corporate dividends. 'This is not the time for a dividends tax cut that goes to individuals,' he said."("Kerry Says Time Is On Dems' Side," The Associated Press, 5/8/03)

Irish Heritage

"For those of us who are fortunate to share an Irish ancestry, we take great pride in the contributions that Irish-Americans..."

(Congressional Record, March 18, 1986)

"As some of you may know, I am part-English and part-Irish. And when my Kerry ancestors first came over to Massachusetts from the old country to find work in the New World, it was my English ancestors who refused to hire them."

Kerry was accused of using such comments to make his Irish-American constituents think he is one of them when, in fact, he isn't. His grandparents were Jewish who changed their names. Kerry now claims he never said it.

Intelligence

1994: Proposed Bill To Gut $1 Billion From Intelligence And Freeze Spending For Two Major Intelligence Programs

Kerry proposed a bill cutting $1 billion from the budgets of the National Foreign Intelligence Program and from Tactical Intelligence, and freezing their budgets. The bill did not make it to a vote, but the language was later submitted (and defeated – see below) as S. Amdt. 1452 to H.R. 3759. (S. 1826, Introduced 2/3/94)

1995: Proposed Bill Cutting $1.5 Billion From Intelligence Budget.

Kerry introduced a bill that would “reduce the Intelligence budget by $300 million in each of fiscal years 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2000.”
No cosponsors of Kerry’s bill, Never Made it to floor
S. 1290, Introduced 9/29/95

1995: Voted To Slash FBI Funding By $80 Million. (H.R. 2076, CQ Vote #480: Adopted 49-41: R 9-40; D 40-1, 9/29/95, Kerry Voted Yea)

1997: Kerry Questioned Growth Of Intelligence Community After Cold War.

“Now that that [Cold War] struggle is over, why is it that our vast intelligence apparatus continues to grow even as Government resources for new and essential priorities fall far short of what is necessary? …” Congressional Record 5/1/97, p. S3891)

Kerry proposed cutting $1 billion from the National Foreign Intelligence Program and Tactical Intelligence budgets, and freezing their budgets. Defeated:
(Amdt.. To H.R. 3759, CQ Vote #39: Rejected 20-75: R 3-37; D 17-38, 2/10/94, Kerry Voted Yea; Graham, Lieberman And Braun Voted Nay)

"Kerry Strongly Supports Increased Intelligence Funding.” (Campaign slogan from JohnKerry.com)