View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Bad night at Pokerstars

[ QUOTE ]
As others have said, go with one hand at a time. You will find the advice you receive to be more plentiful and useful this way.

Hand 1 - JJ is a big hand. You should raise preflop if the pot is unraised. Your purpose is not to drive people out. Your purpose is collect bets from crappy hands (like Q8o) that are way behind you right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not very likely people will play Q8o, more likely A8s and KQo covering all the overcards which will come the majority of the time so paying 4 bets with JJ is a very high variance play with no guarantee you won't just win the small blind when it comes your turn to win with the hand in the next session.
[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2 - Some here would disagree, but unless this table was very loose and very passive, I'd consider folding QTs from EP. If very pots were being raised preflop, then the limp is fine. Not a bad board for slowplaying, but I find that most 2/4 players don't believe that a flop bettor has trips on that kind of board, so they will often call or raise, which is great. There is almost no good place to get away from top trips (and never when your sole opponent has only 4 big bets left). Tough luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, I've never played QTs from UTG/Early before until I read SSH. The starting hands in SSH seem to go against what DS&MM advise in HFAP, perhaps 3-5 players make it OK to play loose and HFAP is only for HU poker but there seems to be specific seperate sections for HU play in HFAP.
[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3 - looks fine. This is just a bad beat. Posting these only serves to agitate the people you want to help you.

Hand 4 - I know you said that you'd taken a couple of beats prior to this hand, but you've got top set here. Assuming that your opponent has the nuts everytime you have a good hand will lose you a lot of money over the long haul. Ram and jam and ram and jam and ...Raise the turn and cap if opponent 3-bets. If he still bets the river, you can just call, although many here would suggest putting in one more raise. If he only calls the turn raise then bet if checked to on the river and put in one raise if he bets into you again (unless the 4th broadway card hit the river).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I should have capped both the turn and river here, the times my oppoenent has KQ is probably offset by the times I redraw to a full house. 15 seconds isn't much time to think about what's going on, there's probably a reason why online sites have such short time limits. [ QUOTE ]

Hand 5 - You should not have let it go at any point. First of all, raise preflop. You probably have the best hand at this point and you are suited so build a big pot. You also wouldn't mind having your opponents check to the raiser if you miss the flop.
Cap the flop. You have no reason to think you're behind - I'd put your opponent on a weak Ace here. If he bets into you again on the turn, you can just call it down. Your opponent happened to have you dominated and flopped two pair to boot. Tough luck, but there is no good place to fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]