View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Re: mistake by not raising?

Lori I am struggling a bit with whether to bet with hands like this (especially on the river) and am curious on the turn check and river check.

I don't know either way but here is what is going through my mind on the turn and river:

Turn:

1. What could he have called a potsized bet on the flop? Overpair-probably not likely since no pf raise (although JJ possible). 7-8-if so I am in trouble but can't always look for monsters under the bed. A gutshot? Two pair, possible since free play from BB (most likely hand would be 10-9 except for the obvious). A hand like A-9 or A-T or a middle pp (perhaps the most likely).

2. Do I need to protect my hand on the turn and/or should I be value betting it.

I guess the protection comes in if opponent holds a 5 or J and an 8 comes on the river-not that huge amount of protection in this hand.

3. Will a check allow my opponent to make the second best hand?

The question is does my hand figure to be good with enough frequency and have a worse hand call to make a value bet profitable on the turn. I personally think so especially in a smaller game.

River

1. Again what worse hands are likely to call a bet.

2. How likely is opponent to check raise.

3. If you were in first position, would your opponent be likely to bluff if you checked. Would you call the bet? If so then I guess you need to bet right-kind of a limit concept.

4. I think I am missing some river stuff, will consider it more-am trying to work on river play.

FWIW I like limping UTG. Any thoughts appreciated.