View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Re: 4 PLO8 hands up for reviewing

Hi Fredrik -
hand #1
Three points for you to consider:
• MP2 has position on you.
• The 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the turn is not a good card for you but might be a good card for your opponent.
• If MP2 bets $13 this round, and if you call, assuming MP2 has a wheel plus a six-high straight, you won't get paid proper odds on the river if you do make your spade flush.

Two questions for you to answer for yourself:
• What cards does MP2 need to call the $3 on the flop?
• If you don't bet, and if MP2 bets $13, will you call the $13?

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a good hand to be free-rolling with on the turn or shuld i have slowed down?

[/ QUOTE ]

All things considered, I think I'd check the turn and see what MP2 does. If MP2 then bets $13, you'll have a tough decision. (if you knew MP2 had the wheel plus a six high straight, a fold would be the proper play - but MP2 could either also have just a wheel or be bluffing).

I don't see any way out of the trap in which you're caught.

hand #2

Too bad you didn't have this flop and turn for hand #1.

When BB bets the $1.90 on the third betting round, you can't really tell whether BB has a nut low or not - and you don't even know if BB has the spade flush or not.

I like your check on the turn and subsequent call. Since you're out of position, there's not much you can do.

On the river you're still out of position. I like your check on the river. When BB checks behind you, you obviously wished you had bet, but you were out of position to do so.

[ QUOTE ]
Comments:
I don’t know abut this hand maybe it should be a clear fold with three to a flush and all I have is a straight with a nut low with protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you played it.

hand #3

Couldn't you have raised to $3.75 before the flop?

Then when Button raises to $3.50 and everybody else folds, what is the point of putting Button all-in? You raised to either (1) take the pot or (2) get one-on-one with an opponent. Since your objective in raising has been accomplished, why not see the flop before deciding what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
Comments:
I really feel I played this hand good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you did play the hand well.

I would have raised the maximum ($3.75 or whatever) when the action first got to me on the first betting round. But, having failed to do that, and ending up one-on-one with a small stack, I would just call the re-raise, rather than re-re-raising the second time the action got to me on the first betting round.

hand #4

Wow! What a stressful game pot limit Omaha-8 is! I fell stressed just sitting here trying to decide what I'd do if I were in your shoes. How can this game be any fun to play? Wow!

At any rate, this time after the turn you're facing an $11 bet after yet another unfavorable turn. (Do you ever get a favorable turn??) And there is a player who has already checked who will act after you. Thus you're out of position again.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have played this to the end?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do call the $11 bet, MP3 only has $2 left. UTG+1 has enough to force you to put your last $10 into the pot, but MP3 doesn't.

You don't know what UTG+1 will do if you call. UTG+1 could fold, over-call, or raise.

If you call, UTG+1 folds, and MP3 goes all-in on the fourth betting round, you might scoop (win $24.50), get 3/4 (win $15), get half (win $5.75), or get quartered (lose $3.75).

MP3 could be bluffing here. Probably not, but possibly. (This would seem a reasonable spot for MP3 to try a bluff). Or MP3 could easily be betting the nuts for high, or even low. Assuming UTG+1 folds, you're more likely, I think, to get 1/2 or 3/4 than 1/4.

Since the worst that can happen to you is you'll lose $3.75 if you only get 1/4, (assuming if you call UTG+1 will fold), looks like you should call.

But what if UTG+1 calls behind you? In that case, it would really look like you're headed for 1/4. But, if 1/4, you only lose about $0.37. Even getting sixthed, you only lose something in the neighborhood of $4.60. But worrying about getting sixthed here is bordering on worrying about the monster under the bed.

What if UTG+1 comes in for a raise (the second step of a check-raise) after you call? That's definitely worrying about the monster under the bed. If you're going to worry about the monster under the bed, then I don't think you should play this game.

Bottom line: You should have called the $11 bet from MP3.

Just my opinion.

Buzz