View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 08:57 AM

Default Re: The Prisoner\'s Dilemma and Religion

I know that people's opinions on this are always so deep-seated that I'm not going to change them, but here's a point. For thousands and thousands of year's man has had laws. Failure to adhere to those laws has resulted in harsh punishments, yet people have never stopped breaking the law. So, what if Moses did apply the prisoner's dilemma to gain compliance? Whose compliance was he trying to gain? What did Moses have to benefit by making people fear something other than himself? And why did people continue to adhere to the laws Moses set forth for so long when the results were unreckognizable until death? So while man's law, which has immediate consequences when broken, has been overlooked by so many for so long. Meanwhile, God's law has been followed for an equally long amount of time. Many people will claim that this is done to avoid critical thinking. I don't see how millions of people, over thousands of years, have been void of the ability to think for themselves and had to fabricate an almight being to explain the unexplainable. There has to be something more to it. There have always been dissenters and somehow their beliefs never took over, as logical as they may have been. You obviously don't beleive the Bible. But it does offer explanations. Jesus turned a minimal amount of fish and bread into a meal that fed the multitudes. You probably don't beleive that. I bet if you were one of the people he fed you would, and you would probably think there was something more to what that guy was saying. Miracles occur throughout the Bible. Have I ever seen one? No. All I'm trying to get at it that while you personally may not have any proof of the existence of God, the belief in God would not have survived for so long if NO ONE ever had ANY reason to believe.