View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Showdown with the boss....(long)

nice story.

i always think of situations like yours when some of the more judgemental folks come on here and start telling everyone that playing online-poker for income (professionally or whatever) is stupid compared with the security of having a 'real' job.

poker-for-income isn't for everyone obviously...especially if you aren't a winning player.
but for many people in situations like the one you were in, it is obviously worth taking a shot at.
the stress and misery at far too many workplaces just isn't worth it.

i feel reasonably comfortable making my income via online-poker now and think i can continue to do it.

if i decide to go back into the 'regular' work-force i can be significantly more choosy than i was previously.
and if the situation just doesn't meet up with my initial expectations i can ditch it.

i can also work at a job i love part-time and get lousy pay if it's something i truly will enjoy doing. i can make up for the income-gap via poker (as long as the games stay good....if not, then i'll have to be less choosy and more responsible obviously).

a lot of my friends at my former work-place want me to go back and really tell-off some of the idiots.
i couldn't do that when i first left....i had to grit my teeth and play out my 2-week notice string because i needed to keep that job opportunity available in case i really got spanked at online-poker.

now that online-poker is working out i really don't care enough about them anymore to bother.

bernie - i know the revenge of telling off a-hole supervisors is sweet so congrats to you.
i suspect you will be able to turn the page and move forward in your life in the weeks to come.
the longer you stay away from that place the better off you will be. but i also very much understand your desire to go back and pick up your paychecks in person.

also - maybe give Gail and others a call and say 'Were all going out for margaritas this Friday.....I'm Buying!!'