View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Lies, damn lies, and statistics

Yes, Tim, exactly my point. I'm not disputing the fact that a statistical record of your play is the only thing that can "prove" whether or not you are winning. But once you are a winning player, I don't think statistics such as ITM and ROI are going to be helpful (for me, at least) along the conitinued path towards improvement.

It seems like human nature to start to look for leaks when you're running bad... but I think you need to tread cautiously here. You should be looking for leaks all of the time, and I think the best way to find them is to have somebody else watch a HH on the replayer. If you are running badly (ie, getting unlucky), and you respond by changing your game, then your record keeping may be hurting you.

Here's a question about which I'd be interested to hear some comments:

If you met two players and asked how they were doing, and one said:
"Great, I play all of the time and cashed out for 30K this year, here's my cashier history."
And the other said:
"I played 1000 SNGs, had an ITM rate of 40% and an ROI of 24% at the $100 level... but I think I can get that up to 30% next year if I plug a few leaks."

What would you think about each player? Which player do you think would be happier? I don't know, I'm still using my spreadsheet, just wondering how helpful a tool it actually is.

Play the right way,
Irieguy