View Single Post
Old 08-22-2004, 10:47 PM

Default Hand from LOP tourney

I just played this hand yesterday in one of the Legends of Poker events at the Bike. The event was the $500 Pot Limit event.

One of the well known pros was at the table, and after we both busted, we talked about this hand. Before I mention his comments here's the hand:

Blinds are 50/100.
I'm in the BB with A8o. Its folded to the button who limps, the SB completes, I check. Being pot-limit I can't bet enough to make these guys lay down much of the time, so I'd rather see a cheap flop here.

Flop is A 2 4 Rainbow.

I'm ready to bet the flop when the small blind throws out a healthy bet of 450.

My instincts tell me he's betting 2 pair or a set here and my ace is no good.

I think what hands he'd bet here and I think he had to have a nice hand to make this bet, but not the straight. First, I don't think he'd complete with 35. Second, he wouldn't bet it to try to trap someone. He is not an aggressive player.

I have to put him on 2 pair, probably A2 or A4

So I fold and the button throws out a big raise, they both go all in and both show A2 for a chopped pot.

Of course, the river was an 8 which would have made me the winner.

I mentioned at the table after the hand that I folded A8o, hence the later dialogue with the Pro.

I think I made a good laydown when I was way behind and layed down a hand with essentially 3 outs (unless the board makes a running pair or the 4 pairs).

Any comments?

-Scott