View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Stay put or bump it back down...

It is difficult to provide any meaningful answer to this question, but there are a few things that come to mind.
Bad streaks can certainly happen, and they will be magnified when you are new to a higher level. It is not unheard of to have a run of 100 or more games where your ROI is zero or negative. Check some old posts from any poster you respect and there will likely be something from one of their bad periods.

I don't think that many have found a large difference in the quality of play between the $10s and $20s, but you may have to make some adjustments to the new level. Have you got a feeling for how you stack up relative to the competition at this level? If you feel that you are seeing obvious mistakes and, or weaknesses in your opponents, then you are likely going to be able to beat this level. If you are not seeing these, then you may not be ready to win at this level.

IMO, it is mostly a bankroll issue whether or not you need to move down. If you have the bankroll to continue playing the $20s then you will likely learn and improve faster there than moving back down to the $10s. If your bankroll is getting strained then there is a good chance it will effect your play at the most critical times when you are forced to make decisions for all your chips.

There is no shame in moving down, of course. I have done it and I am sure that many, if not most, have as well. You may or may not have to in this case, but don't worry if you do. You can always move back up later.

Dave S