View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Difference in motivation

I also recognize that my motivations aren't necessarily the same as others on this site. I play poker to 1. have fun 2. get some social interaction 3. maybe learn to make some money. Granted, it's a great thing when you can make money from your hobby, but it's not the primary motivation. I feel a bit like some artisan who does artistic or creative work on the side but keeps their day job. The prospect of cash flow is a nice bonus but not really the motivation. If i wanted to maximize $/hr i'd go to law school, not play poker.

I recognize that different motivations for playing poker will lead to different courses of action. No harm in that, but i'm not going to stop talking about 2+2 to protect somebody's cash flow. For the record i don't go giving unsolicited advice, not because i want to keep it a secret, but because experience teaches me that it has a negative EV in terms of friendly social interactions. In other words, most people get pissed off.

But i know how much others on this forum have already helped me, and i don't see their help as an entitlement. (Not to say that you do. ) So i try to pass the benefit along to those willing to receive it. The other day some guy was asking how to improve his game, and based on my motivations (but not yours) my small act of friendliness is a +ve EV play. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]