View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Method for \"studying\" a poker book...

For low limit online play (like the 2/4 and 3/6 I play) SSH is a must read and if anyone were playing these limits, I'd suggest they read it next if they haven't already.

The method I use to study a poker book is to read it all the way through once to get some of the overall concepts, then go back a section at a time. Read a section trying to really concentrate on what that section is trying to teach and thinking about how to incorporate that into my game. Then play some poker playing my typical game, except trying to focus on the times that particular concept comes up and really trying to implement what I've read. Then go back and read another section and then play, again trying to focus on the particular concept of the section I've just read.

If I'm re-reading a book (and I tend to cycle through my poker books which include HEP, WLLH, TPFAP, HPFAP, TOP and now SSH) I skip initial straight through read and just go to sections that I want to work on, but follow the same pattern.

I find that by focusing on one particular area with reading and then trying to implement while playing I am better able to integrate the concepts into my game and retain the information.

When I say "a section" what I mean really depends on the book. It might be a whole chapter, or it might be just a part of a chapter. The main thing is to take it in small enough bites that you can really focus on and read, play, read, play, read, play.