View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Full HH in a tourney I butchered. Help with minraises?

Ehh...the jacks are tricky, but I'm still raising them. At most, I'm going to lose about 200 chips (75 PF and a half pot bet on the flop), and I'm far more likely to win a bunch. Think of it this way: If you had AK, raised PF, and the flop came 852, are you going to bet? If you are called, you lose the same amount with JJ when the flop comes A52. (If you get 5 callers, it's even less, because you're check/folding.)

Checkraising without the goods at these lowbie SNG's is too much of a crapshoot, IMO. I will *occasionally* do this on a flop nobody could possibly have hit, but not on one with two aces on it.

The flush draw checkraise is more interesting...but if you are called, you have to lead the turn, and your stack is too low to like it. Once you've called the flop, however, you are barely getting odds to draw on the turn; it's a marginal situation, and I don't draw in SNG marginal situations when I can get my chips in as a 60:40 favorite virtually every third hand.

I think of the 75o hand in very simple terms: I'm risking 1000 chips to win 450, and am in terrible shape if I am called (which the BB will do with any ace, any king and almost everything else.) If I fold here, I have 1K chips remaining and at least 3 hands to wait for something better than 7 high, plus the odd time when somebody else goes out first. This is not a time to go all in against somebody who's getting odds to call at least the top half of his hands.