View Single Post
Old 08-17-2004, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Home Poker Games - A small Rant

"I not only bought chips, but built tables and the facility that we had our games in. As the host I had to worry about keeping the game full, friendly, and secure. In addition I was providing drinks and snacks to all the players."

The first few things were your choice. The refreshments, that was dumb. I have everyone contribute a set amount that goes to refreshments and eqpt replacement, to which I also contribute equally. That way it only costs me a little to host the games.

"You have to keep your facility clean; you have to listen to the endless streams of complaints disguised as “suggestions”: why don’t we play {more/less} {stud/hold’em/Omaha} for {bigger/smaller stakes}?? And so on and so on."

So?

"Why did I do it? Because my friends and I like playing cards in a live environment."
Okay, so you invested in a hobby because you wanted to. Again, your choice. If you wanted people to help out with costs, ask them to contribute to 30-40$ of the total cost for future purchases. the initial ones are long gone.

"So the next home game you are at – remember to thank the host/hostess for all the crap they go through and the risk they run every time you “shuffle up and deal” in their game."
Now that sentiment I can get behind. If there's a risk involved, you know you're taking it so there isn't much to say