View Single Post
Old 08-15-2004, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Live 2-4: AA on Drawless Board and Top Card Pairs on the Turn

Dynasty,

I am going to hate myself when you post and say this is an easy no brainer but here goes. I think this decision is close because of the description of your opponent here. You say that the game is loose and passive and that this particular very loose player tends towards passive. Well against an aggressive opponent you can't lay down because they may try to take the pot away from you on the turn when the top card pairs. Against a totally passive player who is afraid of his/her own shadow it is an easy fold. But is this player that passive or just somewhat passive. Then look at the other factors.

Factors leaning toward folding:

1. The hands you fear, 33, 77 and Qx are all very possible cold calling hands for this very loose player.
2. It is just like a passive player to not raise with top pair on the flop. However, even a passive player will raise a monster on the turn.
3. There are now draws on the board that your opponent might be raising (not that passive types tend to do that).
4. The hand was not heads up on the turn. Your opponent raised into two other opponents who had yet to act. If he/she has less than trips are they suddenly bluffing into a field of loose players.
5. If you are behind you are not getting sufficient odds to draw to your two outs (assuming you are not drawing dead).

Factos leaning towards calling:

1. The pot is large. However, your effective pot odds are not nearly as good since it will cost you another bet on the river to see this hand through. You are getting 13.5:2 which is good but not great.

2. Loose average players in these types of games do crazy things. You will see people show down hands that make no sense. Who knows maybe the person is steaming and decided to take a shot at this large pot.

3. You are now at least heads up.

I can't say I feel good about calling here but my hand only needs to be good around 14% of the time. I haven't built my bankroll in lose passive games by making tough folds headsup, so I say call the turn but I don't feel great about it.

So now Dynasty please tell me the correct answer. Oh,and if a blank falls on the river, do you check-call or bet?

Thanks for the interesting post.

Colgin