Thread: Cold cards?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Cold cards?

[ QUOTE ]
Ive often wanted to ask this question myself. If you follow the starting hand strategies found in the low limit books youll play one 1 of every 12 hands in early position. Thats 1 hand for every 120 dealt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you get 1 in 12 to 1 in 120. I know Lee Jones says 1 in 12, but he lists 22 hands as playable under the gun. And I get 22/169 to be a bit more than 1 in 8.

And for most games he is a wee bit too tight in early position. I open on 14.85% of all hands dealt to me UTG, and Astroglide opens on 16.28% of all hands. (He is probably the best combination of a great player and great database on these forums. Over 100,000 hands of 3/6.)

But there are times when I don't get anything playable even on the button for many orbits, and there are those times I get to raise pf for 6 straight hands. It evens out in the long run.

I find it pretty rare that it's 3 bets back to me, unless several players have very loose raising standards, in which case I don't release most of the hands I opened with anyways. Yes, it happens in tight games, but then you can merrily fold any marginal holding.