View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 04:37 AM

Default Misery with Pocket Aces

Doyle Brunson is right, you either win small of lose big with AA.

AA is my biggest loser on PT -2.31 BB/hand (NL $25 and $50) I have held it 23 times, and won 65% of the time with it. I have tried different approaches, and have been beat with AA in the last two weeks by:
TT (-55 BB)(T came on the flop and I called a huge bet like an idiot)
AJ (villain called all-in before the flop, board T897)
85 (two pairs) -24BB) small pre-flop raise, called a raise on the turn, player behind came all-in over the top.
AJ again all-in pre-flop -16BB (T8QJJ)
88 (full house -21BB)
84s (Flush -6.50 BB)
46 (Three 6s -9.5BB)

I know some of this is my fault for being unwilling to fold when I feel I am beat (the big raise on the T) but it just seems like if I limp, I get beat by garbage (46, 84s) and if I come in big, I either pick up the blinds or get run down by AJ.

I know that some of these players will pay off in the long run, but I am getting killed. Is there anything wrong with this situation: If I raise pre-flop, someone else re-raises, can I come over the top and say, "I have Aces." I would be perfectly happy to pick up the pot right there, uncontested. Is this stupid, unethical, illegal or some combination of all three?

The hands that I do win are usually folded pre-flop or there is a scary flop where no one bets. Is picking up the blinds the only way to win with AA? By comparison, I am +3.27/Hand with KK, +3.84/Hand QQ, -.49/Hand JJ, and +6.01/Hand TT. It looks like I am OK playing the other big pairs, except for JJ, but we all know how that goes.