View Single Post
Old 08-10-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Reality Check re: new Miller, Sklansky, Malmuth Book: Small Stake

Just got Miller's book. I like how he has broken out pre-flop guidelines between 3-5 per flop vs. 6-8 per flop. While the normal Party Poker table seems to fit the 3-5 players per flop average, I still run into some tables with 6-8 players per flop online. The guidelines are helpful in presenting which hands perform better when you see more players in a flop. I even see some hands where I may have been too tight in the past behind a raise.

From my limited experience with B&M's the play does appear to be looser. It could be a regional thing. It is not that surprising to see Seattle games generally being loose-passive and Southern California games being loose-aggressive.

Last week I went to the local card room and played in the most loose-passive game I had ever been involved in. The average was at least 6 players to a flop. That was for a 9-handed game with my tight ass dragging the average down. I think only a couple players realized that raising was allowed. Several times I saw monster hands not being bet or raised on the river, including a few nut hands. Unfortunately, I wasn't getting dealt any cards that night and couldn't take advantage of the table. Though I think I could have gotten in there if I would have started reading Miller's book beforehand.