View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Football Futures

Not a big sports bettor, but a pretty big sports. On first impressions, I think:

Texans win total Over 6½ @ -110
Browns win total Over 7½ @ +110
Seahawks win total Under 8½ @ +150

Look like interesting bets. None of these are locks, but I think they all have potential.

Probably some hometown bias here, but the Texans played lost some real close heartbreaker games last season against the upper echelon of the league, and had what turned out to be the hardest schedule in the league. They had injury problems as well. This year they improved their defense, didn't lose any key players and their young guys have an extra year. I think 7 wins is very likely.

Browns I'm the least sure about, and have the least justification for, but things in the NFL have been very rags to riches lately, and though I haven't studied them very much there aren't any huge red flags there, 8 wins doesn't seem unreasonable.

To me, the Seahawks tend to under perform to their talent. Coming off a playoff year, but as someone who's seen great things the past few years and been disappointed, I think it's possible they end up mediocre, weirder things have happened. It's the +150 that makes it interesting though.