View Single Post
Old 08-09-2004, 12:25 PM

Default Re: First NL hand ever. Lost my stack. HELP!!!

stacks are so short that you are going to lose your stack here. BUT, in general overbetting like this with one pair on a paired board isn't the greatest idea. most low no-limit games feature players that are way too loose before the flop, but generally are not complete idiots postflop.

after he calls your flop bet, you have to ask yourself what he is calling you with? probably not a 3, a 6 is a possibility or a lower pocket pair. he might call you with a lower pocket pair but keep in mind you have represented a big pocket pair the whole time. when you play your hand in such a way that your opponents know what you have, you allow them to play somewhat optimally. most noncluless opponents are not going to put a lot of money in after the flop unless they can beat what they put you on, which in your case is a big pair.

so I think after betting the flop you need to check the turn and try to get to a showdown without committing a lot more money. may not be possible to do, but I think that's the better line to take.
--turnipmonster