View Single Post
Old 08-04-2004, 11:48 AM

Default Checking top 2 on the turn ?

Hi,

Zag, when you add pros and cons, you should also consider the weigh of each point. When and opponent checks and calls on the flop and checks on the turn when the board is filled with draws, but no possible big hand yet, like the one on this hand ( Qc 9c 3 6 ), you can be pretty sure he is on a draw, or has a very weak made hand+draw. There is just no way he has a set, unless he is a very very bad player, or really has a monster (QQTcJc). So if you check behind with top 2 pair, the truth is you give him infinite odds to his draw. You should absolutely never do that, unless you just want to give up that hand for some reason. I really think this is basic PLO theory.
This being said, the other problem in your post is that among the 6 points in favor of checking, I think at least 5 are wrong... I wont discuss each of them (no time, sorry), but IMHO you really should rethink the way you play PLO, because giving free cards with top 2 pair when it was checked-called on flop and it is checked again to you on the turn is a very costing mistake. Sorry if my tone is a little hard, but really, it is bad poker, I think. Read or reread Ciaffone's and Reuben's various texts about PLO, or at least crockpot's page if you have not done so. If you want, I will comment each point you made later, maybe tomorrow, if nobody does it.

See you

sahaguje