View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 03:09 AM

Default Small Review/Report: Artichoke Joe\'s in San Bruno, CA

I played some 3/6 at Artichoke Joe's this evening. I had a very good time, made about $60 in profit for a couple hours play.

In comparison to the more popular Bay Area card room, Lucky Chances, I'd say that Artichoke Joe's is a much friendlier environment. Both the staff and players are very hospitable.

I was originally told that Joe's charged by the hour to play, but quickly found out they have the same blind/drop structure as Lucky Chances. The button is a live blind, equal to the big blind. Both the small blind and the big button blind are taken by the house on every hand, unless it is short-handed.

I have always broke even or profited with this structure, but I think it is very tough for beginners to show a profit with the extra blind on the button. I must have folded off 15-20% of my profits from a big run -- caught a very cold run of cards for 4-5 orbits ($35 alone in blinds).

I do enjoy the live B&M games more than playing online, but I still think low limit games can be much more profitable online due to the rake structure and hands per hour (multi-tabling) possible. Still though, I seem to do very well in B&Ms -- reads are very easy at the lower limits. People tend to telegraph what they're holding, and I love this aspect of the game that is missing from online play.

I was told Joe's would be a bit softer game than Lucky Chances, but I found them to be about even in terms of the looseness of the game. Joe's does have fewer tables, but the environment makes it a more worthwhile destination for me than Lucky Chances.

I personally plan to play 6/12 at Joe's next time I go. I'd recommend the place to any decently experienced low limit players. It's only about a 10-15 minute drive from San Francisco (close to the airport off 101).

My tip to those that play the 3/6 at Joe's: Value Bet, Value Bet, Value Bet. TPTK can be very powerful there. Players love to call with their busted gutshots, flush draws, and bottom/middle pair.

Ed Miller's new book heavily applies to the games at Joe's.

Good Luck,

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] jslag [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]