View Single Post
Old 07-31-2004, 01:46 PM

Default my thoughts . . .

DV:

I may be out of line, but I am going to try to speak for some of other 2+2ers who I know and respect . . .

I and many other 2+2ers play at what could be called a "semi-pro" level. In other words, we have regular 'day-jobs', but are able to make money 'on the side' by playing solid poker on what could be considered a part-time (or "semi-full-time") basis.

For myself, I enjoy the game and the friendships it breeds and fosters. I have met some truly wonderful folks playing cards, people I never would have had a chance to meet but for my passion for poker. I also enjoy winning, of course, and it's nice to make a few extra bucks and get respect for playing a difficult game with at least some minimal degree of competancy.

When I look at people who play professionally on a full-time basis, I often see the wear it takes on them spiritually because they simply must win in order to eat. The game, I believe, becomes less of an enjoyable part-time passion and more of a full-time obsession.

It's very difficult to put your livelihood (both financially and spiritually) on the fall of small pieces of pasteboard: the results are often disappointing not because of what you do, but because of the talent of others, the ****ing rake, and lady luck itself.

Many times I feel I have an advantage over the rest of a table not because I am stronger fundamentally, but because I have a decent job which I enjoy (usually), and a strong and loving family, and can play poker because I love the game and love trying to play it well and improve, and not because the rent won't get paid if I don't win.

For me, full-time professional poker, with its intense nature and long hours needed to get past the "short-term", would jeopardize the things I cherish in life. I'm not saying that you shouldn't give it a run, but you might consider taking my experiences into account.

Best of Luck,

TSP