View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 11:37 PM

Default Re: I was in shock after losing this

You would have gone broke on this hand since you made the flush, but I think you could have played this hand better prior to that point.

Pre-flop: In a five-handed game, Axs is pretty marginal. You won't get paid off enough on your flushes to cover your investment, and the pairs that you make will usually not win if they get much action. Open-limping just seems terrible with only 3 players to act behind you.

Flop: The raise of $1 isn't a play I'd make, but I can see why you might have done it. I'd probably raise a bit more.

Turn: You're either way ahead here, or you have many outs to beat a better ace (or 3 outs to beat small boats). Giving a free card to weaker hands is unlikely to hurt you. Getting check-raised after representing trip aces has got to make you sick. This is a spot where you can check and hope to pick off a bluff on the river (or bet if checked to you again). Betting $5 here will probably get folds from hands drawing nearly dead, but will get called or raised by all better hands. Even though you're usually ahead here, this bet seems -EV unless you know your opponents will continue calling with any piece of the board.