View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004, 08:44 PM

Default stuck in SNG hell

okay...I've been playing SNG's on UB for awhile now and I do okay...after about 200 6 and 10-handed games (spread between $10 and $50 games) I've got an ROI hovering around 20%...

not bad...but hardly very profitable...

instead of of boring you with hand histories, I'm reaching out to my fellow SNG brethren in the hopes you can enlighten me with your overall strategies...I'll give you a quick rundown on how I play, my strengths and weaknesses, etc...to the best of my ability to do so, anyway...

I'm very strong early...only play strong starting hands for the first couple of levels...I may limp with suited connectors or Ax if it's cheap...

If I do play, I play my hand aggressively...but I will lay down TPTK if someone comes over the top of me on occassion.

My bets are almost always potsized - especially in the first few levels...I might take something off of a raise when the size of the blinds are huge, but usually, I'm betting the pot.

So far so good...I also feel that if I get unlucky early, I'm pretty good at climbing back into contention...but let me tell you when I run into problems:

Middle rounds - 4-6 players remaining...I'm still very aggressive and betting the pot when I hit...am I risking too much here?

Also, when it gets down to say 4 or 5 players, I'm raising with hands like K-10, KJ, etc...is this too loose?

Heads up I'm pretty much even...winning 50% of my battles...I don't think this a very good way to make money, however, and feel I could be too aggressive here. If I'm up, I'll put constant pressure on the other player until he plays back, and when I'm down I'm going to constantly put him to a decision for a lot of chips...

Anyway...any feedback and personal strategies that have made you a winner at SNGs would be appreciated...

Thanks!