View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: TT overpair against PFR

With a hand like this, what I like to do is figure out what I'm looking for before the flop hits based on my opponents. You should seriously consider only playing tens for their trip values in this position against unfamiliar opponents for a few reasons. The insecurity that prompted you to this post is a result of too many possible overpairs as well as perceived overcard outs, and can lead to misplaying hands. Also, your position relative to the opponent dictates that even if you manage to hit a big hand, it's tougher to extract the maximum. If you decide to play them when you have an overpair, play them like they're as good an overpair as pocket aces. If you're going to checkraise, checkraise large. I'd at least raise it to $150. The checkraise play puts you in the driver's seat, so make sure you're telling the opponent "I have the better hand and if you call you're chasing and paying me off."

Still not too excited about posting strategy knowing people I play with probably read it. Maybe I'll get a new handle.