View Single Post
Old 07-25-2004, 02:54 AM

Default BEHOLD! The obligatory ROUNDERS question

Now, I realize that talking about Rounders is the ultimate newbie cliche, but I can't help but be bugged by one of the high-limit sequences in the movie.

Hand in question is Damon's confrontation with Johnny Chan. Its a 300-600 table at the Taj, and Damon raises Chan PF with rags. Chan makes it three bets and Damon caps. Chan, of course, after double-checking his hand, folds to the hero. Clearly a work of fiction--which brings me to my question:

In HLHE, is there ANY hand that it is correct for Chan to three-bet and then fold to a cap bet from an unkown player on a short stack? JJ? AKs? The question is less about the movie than it is about high-limit games (of which I know little). Shouldn't Chan, being an expert, call the cap once he's committed (unless of course he's on a stone bluff). Can't he can afford to give up a little before PF because he can count on outplaying virtually any tourist (or rounder) from the flop on? Is there really any value in folding a group 1 or 2 hand for one more bet when you're heads up against a lesser player (in this case, a player who has won precisely two fewer WSOP championships)?

Just curious, would appreciate comments on calling a four-bet before the flop.