View Single Post
Old 07-20-2004, 11:12 AM

Default Re: how to play a flopped set of aces with no danger on the board

It's amazing how people with pairs are willing to go all-in after missing a flop.

The other day in a $3 Stars tourney, I was in middle position with Kd 4d. Blinds were at T50/T100, and I had the big stack at my table, over T4,000. One player limped in front of me, I limped in, one player after me raised to $300. The original limper called, I called.

Flop is 2d 3d 6h. First player bets the minimum, I call, player to my left goes all in. The other guy calls and is also all-in.

I think for a minute... I've got 8 outs to make a flush, three more that make a straight. I'm pretty sure that the raiser has a pair of aces, but if I call and lose I still have nearly T3,000 and it's early in the tournament, so I call.

Amazingly, the raiser had a pair of Queens... and the other caller had QJo.

I made my flush, busted both of them, and the raiser then berated me for being stupid enough to call an all-in with "King rags."

Heck, since even pairing my king would have beat him I had not just the 11 outs I though, but 14 outs! With 14 outs and two cards to come, I was better than even money and getting paid 2:1.