View Single Post
Old 07-20-2004, 06:26 AM

Default Good Hand vs. Odds

Let me set this up. The other night, I was playing in a $10+$1 SnG. It was early in the tourny and the blinds were 15/30. In a matter of seven hands, pocket Aces were dealt four times. They won the first three times. I, however, was the one dealt them the fourth time. Thinking purely on odds, I folded pre-flop when a player under the gun raised t500. If I called and lost, I would be crippled since I only had 634 total chips.

My thinking was, and maybe I am wrong, that the odds of pocket aces winning again were not in my favor. Now before people start yelling or getting upset, I'm not referring to a fix of any kind, I'm referring strictly to the odds. If you deal out 100 hands and someone has pocket Aces every time, they will only win about %50 of the time (correct?).

Was this the wrong thinking? Should I have seen the flop and then folded if it was not a good flop? I ended up being correct, the person who raised had pocket 9's and the flop came 9, 2, 2(K and 10 on the turn and river). Just in case a situation like this ever occurs again, I would like to know what some of you would have done.

Thanks
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]