Thread: 5/10 Stud Hand
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Stud Hand

[ QUOTE ]
Having the best pair on 3rd street does not necessarily mean you have the hand with the best chance of winning at the showdown. It's not hard to construct situations where no one else can has a larger pair but your 995 is no better than break-even against the field. When you add in the possibility that you are already behind and may get raised by a bigger pair, then bringing-in for the full amount, or raising the bring-in, is usually not mathematically sound play. It might be right for tactical reasons vs timid opponents, but it's usually not right in terms of odds and EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
If everyone calls, then yes, your two Nines just might be a dog to the field, even if it is the "best" hand on third street. By bringing it in for a full bet on third street, however, it is somewhat likely that it will go heads-up immediately, and you will (probably) have position with the best hand. There is some chance that he'll win the antes as well, and I consider this a good result whenever I have a pair of Nines. Chris Daddy has to put at least $2 into the pot. For only $3 more, he has the chance to steal the $4 already in there, or to set up the hand so that he can maybe buy the pot later.

[ QUOTE ]
I won't go so far as to say that you should always fold 995 here, but I'll maintain that in normal conditions, you're probably just running up your variance without making any real profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to gamble. You should try it some time. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]