View Single Post
Old 07-17-2004, 10:08 AM

Default Results

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I played the flop and turn ok for the most part. My bets may have been a little high or low for you fellas but no real mistakes.

My river play: I thought for a bit and then checked. Before I start to get flamed for being weak, I'd like to explain my reasoning.

Argmuent for a check here: First of all, I don't see much value in a bet here. As I see it, there are only two hands that this player (an average player) could have given the play of the hand, either 56 or a mediocre queen. He didn't come after me on the flop or turn so two pair or a set is highly unlikely (unless the 2 hit for a Q2?). So my final read was either a mediocre queen or a rivered straight. If I make a decent sized value bet ($150-$200), I feel like an average player would not call with just a queen (perhaps this is where I'm mis-judging his play?). Perhaps he may call an all-in with the queen as TCollins suggested but given I had no line on his play at this time I didn't think that move woul be prudent. So, he would muck the hand I beat. And if he check-raises all in, I'm beat nearly every time (what else could he possibly check-raise me with?) but I'm still committed enough where I have to call with my short stack. Not my favorite situation. Plus, like I said in my intro, this game was a bit out of my comfort zone, so I was playing a bit more of a stack-preservation midset than usual and not pushing edges as hard as I usually do.

Results: I checked, roll over my set o' fours, and they're good. He flashes a queen as he folds.

Aftermath: The table is shocked I didn't bet the river. They figure I must only bet the nuts. (which I guess isn't too far off given my play of the hand [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). I manage to steal a couple decent sized pots in the next hour with large turn and river with semi-large value-looking bets, and book a nice win for the session.