View Single Post
Old 07-17-2004, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Cheating in Poker

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to be naive, but as an Internet guy, I'm not too familiar with the different methods of B&M cheating. (For the record, I'm not too familiar with Internet collusion either.) What type of cheating are you talking about? You mentioned softplaying, but does it go beyond that? Using signals at the table to indicate hand strength or cards held? Even worse?

Please enlighten me. I love a good scandal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Chip palming is the offense that got him banned at Foxwoods. People chip palm from the smallest tourneys all the way up to the biggest buy-in tourneys. Another site reported that a chip scanning device has been invented, so someday we will hopefully see an end to palming.

Chip dumping is an extension of soft playing, and seems to be used by that particular group, as well.

Stalling happens live as well as online. I hate it in both venues, but there seems to be little preventing it until the tables are played hand-for-hand.

Shorting the pot is something I see quite frequently in small buy-in tourneys where the majority of the players and dealers are not paying attention.

Being whip-sawed between two cheating players is something that seems to be coming to an end. TDA rules, combined with players asking to be shown hands has cut down on that type of cheating, in my experience.

A lot of times, players have no idea that they are cheating. Truly. I find this to be particularly true in the case of novice players, friends, family, spouses and retirees.

I was playing in a NLHE tourney between two friends. They were the only two left in the pot after the flop. One said to the other, "I flopped a set of fives, so I will check it down to you." He was serious. Now if these guys knew what they were doing, would they actually say it? And play it that way? No, the one who said it had never played a poker tournament in his life. Ignorance is no excuse, but the fact remains that they had no idea that they were cheating.

The same goes for spouses who refuse to bet into each other. They just don't want any hurt feelings, they have no idea that this is 100% against the rules.

When I used to play at the same table as my husband (we no longer do, he got interested in cash games only, while I went the tourney route), we always showed our hands when whipsawing a player in between. While I hate to show my hand, under any circumstances, here it was just common sense. I never wanted a player to think we were colluding. Naturally we both had premium hands, so the player in the middle was shown that in no way were we cheating him.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]