View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 12:36 PM

Default Re: This is why you should raise preflop with Aces

[ QUOTE ]
I remember reading something in HPFAP that says it's occasionally correct to see the turn cheaply even when immediate pot odds don't justify it, as long as you're willing to give it up on the turn if you whiff (although there's a very good chance that this was not one of those times when it's correct [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]
You can call without pot odds ONLY if you are positive you can make it back in implied IF you hit... IE, lets say you have a gutshot str8 draw. See the turn if you have 10:1 pot odds, cuz your straight will usually be good, and you'll get turn and river bets to make up for the slightly short pot odds on the flop. HOWEVER: If the board is suited, paired, or you have the dummy end of the str8, the true 11:1 odds may not be enough, since your str8 will lose often in these scenarios.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the 1 SB paid for itself in implied tilt odds alone [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
'Tilt odds', thats a good one!

[ QUOTE ]

On a related note, how would I calculate the pot/implied odds needed to justify a call in this spot? Should I make a post in the Probability forum?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, you have essentially nothing.. It's about 22:1 for your backdoors.. You have to count the cost of the flop AND turn bets in your calculations, that'll be probably 1.5 bets, possibly MUCH more... Someone holding 9 is gonna start raising, and they have outs to a boat, as do any pocket pairs, which kills BOTH your backdoors... Lets say it'll cost you 2BB to see the river, at 25:1 which discounts for boats, etc.. There should be a final pot of about 50BB to make this call worthwhile.. The only way to get 50 in there is if everyone does a lot of raising, but that drives that 50BB figure into 3 digits... The more players raise, the worse this situation gets. You simply can not (correctly) call.