Thread: Frozen hand
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Frozen hand

[ QUOTE ]

This was the point of my post, that the only reason to play this hand this way is you place great weight on getting 1st or nothing, even when not yet officially ITM.

I have no idea which is better, but they are clearly opposing theories and this hand illustrates how they require completely different plays in some situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

NotReady, I really think you're looking at this hand the wrong way. Yes, it's true that a great emphasis should be placed on placing first (sometimes at the risk of bubbling), but this move is not as illustrative of that principle as you make out. Pushing with JTs or a complete bluff would be a better example of this philosophy.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the move is somewhat dependent on reads, but if you're fairly comfortable that Big Stack is not trapping, then pushing all-in is automatic from both the survival/ITM perspective, as well as the place first at all costs perspective.

It would be different if big stack had pushed in and Frozen had to decide whether or not he was willing to risk his whole stack with AQ because he now has no chance to make the big stack fold (this a much closer decision than the decision to push over the SB-completion, although I think a very strong case could be made for calling - AQ is a big hand when the game is 4-handed).