View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

Dan,

Thanks for the terrific response. It's very helpful. You seem to have quite a feel for the psychological aspects of the game. I like your quick fix but want more. I need to start with your quick fix and dig deeper.

I completely agree with the notion that my play represents an issue bigger than simply good or bad play. Something is going on upstairs.

Now, I also took a look at PrimatePoker, your web site. It got me thinking. I have read Sklansky's book and of course never had the guts to execute the strategy myself, but did generally take the point to heart. Here is my point.

Many new players (including myself) start these days with NLHE tournaments and then graduate to ring games. I myself had quite the success early on in my tournament career racking up close to 20k in wins. I have since lost most of it back to ring games. What is my point?

Well, NLHE tournaments teach you to go bust! That's right. Unless you win, you go bust. If you took second, you went bust. In fact, during the tournaemnt generally everyone at some point or other puts all their chips on the line with a hand like A-10, which unless it is up against A-8 is generally no more than a 60-40 favorite. This is going to produce wild swings in ring games. Also, it conditions the player to believe that success and going bust are not mutually exclusive. In short, NLHE tournaments develop terrible money making skills and don't really associate going bust with anything too, too terrible.

Thanks.

-RSS