View Single Post
Old 06-28-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Slowplay trips? You make the call ...

There's many ways to play a hand, and I think the way you played it was reasonable for the most part. I'll go in reverse order.

River bet. If there had been two diamonds on the flop, betting the river would be a bad idea. You'd want to check-call to give someone a chance to bluff at the flush (or to give yourself a chance to fold if your read told you you were beat). However, there was only 1 diamond on the flop, so you'd have to be very unlucky for someone to have backdoored a flush on you, so betting looks fine.

Turn check. I assume you planned to check/raise. Sure hope so. I think that's a reasonable line of play. It depends on the opponent, but having smooth-called the flop, it's reasonable to assume the raiser will continue betting. It looks bad when it doesn't work.

Bet check/call. I don't like this play. I like betting the best. You're likely to get action from an Ace, and most people won't put you on a set if you come out betting (because most people check).

Once you checked and got a bet and a call, now's the perfect time to raise. If you're afraid they'll all fold, just min-raise, but raise something. Get some money in there.