View Single Post
Old 06-25-2004, 11:55 PM

Default The million dollar question!!

I'm sure there have been several thousand posts just like this one, but here I go anyway.

I've been playing all forms of hold'em seriously for going on 3 years. I'm just a baby to most of you I'm sure, but I feel I'm in a rut.

Throw me in any kind of home game tourny(6-30) or small internet tourny(6-10 seated) and I'm in the money 9 times out of 10. But throw me into a 50+ seated tourny and i consitantly miss the money by 5 or 10 spots.

Now...Keep in mind these small tourny's the blinds only go up every 30 minutes or they just never really effect your play. These types of games really fit my tight aggressive play, which is really the only way I know how to play unless i'm short stacked.

My biggest question is....In these bigger tournaments, where the blinds raise every 15 minutes and severely dictate how tight a player can play, what is more important...Starting hands or betting stategy?

Should I play more hands while the blinds are harmless? Mid-suited connectors or Ax, Kx suited, or am I to much of a beginner to get the max $$ when I do have the hand.

I'm always learning from either a book, this forum, or experience...But I'm trying to figure out if it's how I bet, do i play to tight, or if i'm just plain unlucky in these bigger tests.

Now keep in mind...at most of these bigger live tournaments, it is nothing but FISH, half of them have only played once or twice in their life, and they play CRAZY!!