View Single Post
Old 06-22-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Any way to avoid busting out in this situation?

Good afternoon,

Was in 12th place with 54 left in a $20 multi table tourney where the final table is paid. Had 7k chips, with an opponent at 10k and the overall leader at 15k on my table. Blinds 100/200, table play is still loose. Pick up 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG and call due to the loose table play with the intention to fold unless hitting the set. 5 players. Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, min bet of 200, fold, fold, call, I call (again, the table is so loose that I need to see if a bad card comes as they will chase!) Turn is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and looks like a perfect card. I bet 600 into the 1600 pot, there is a fold, then the opponent with 10k chips makes it 2500. He is very loose and aggressive so I put him on a AQ, KQ, Q9, Q8, or hearts and come over the top. He calls and shows 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I'm out in 54th place rather than winning and being in 1st place overall [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The question is not to critique how I played the hand, but rather: Is there any way to avoid busting out in this situation? I've maybe been involved when 2 players flop a set once or twice in 18 months of online play. Any input appreciated.

-Mack