View Single Post
Old 06-19-2004, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Top Pair Top Kicker -- How far would you push it?

[ QUOTE ]
How aggressive had you been at the table? Here, table image is sooooo important (IMHO) - you probably could have convinced him that you had the flush if you had been really tight up till now, but if you had been aggressive I would say check-fold after the flop call; the only hands that call you here are beating you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had just sat down at the table, so no table-image.

Regardless, I wouldn't be interested in representing the flush because I'm afraid he might have the flush. I don't think I could have gotten a better hand to fold (maybe if I pushed on the flop, but that's not an option), so I was just playing it for the best hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Why no preflop raise??

[/ QUOTE ]
I would've raised if the blinds were a bit higher relative to my stack. With so much wiggle room, however, I think AQ plays better in an unraised pot. I don't want to have to make a decision for all of my chips w/ just one pair, and that's less likely in an unraised (i.e. smaller) pot. A raise is also likely to knock out a wide range of hands that would otherwise call but would be dominated by mine. (I would, however, raise if it folded to me and I was a bit closer to the button -- as it is, I was third or fourth to act -- or in some certain specific situations.)