View Single Post
Old 06-17-2004, 03:08 AM

Default Re: confidence shot by bad beats - what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
After finishing in the money 40% of the time in my first 40 SNG's I haven't had a top 3 for 8 SNG's now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not a surprisingly long streak even if the 40% ITM from the first 40 is typical. You don't have much data, but you placed in the money 16/48 times, which is not much above random. Are you sure you are a winning player? Maybe you just had a lucky streak at first.

[ QUOTE ]
... I know bad beats are part of the game but a week straight, how do you recover? Bank roll is taking a beating. I've even moved down in buy-in's. Here's an example hand. Got to know if I should do something different. Is there any way to keep people with these hands from calling a bet....maybe just go all-in? Any way I put him on that kind of a hand after calling a big pre-flop raise?

Big Blind is t20 (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of t10.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t20, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls t20, <font color="CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to t70</font>, BB calls t50, UTG+1 calls t50, Button calls t50.

Flop: (t280) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, Button calls t200.

Turn: (t680) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t605 (all-in)</font>, Button calls t605.

River: (t1890) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Hero shows Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (two pair, queens and sevens).
Button shows 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (full house, sevens full of sixes).
Outcome: Button wins t1890.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] You didn't make a large preflop raise. You made a nuisance raise. The size of your raise should depend on the number of people already in the pot. With two limpers, making everyone call an extra 2.5 BB is not a large raise. Make it 100 if you want people to take the raise seriously. This isn't limit hold'em.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] This was not a bad beat. In a bad beat, the bulk of the chips go in when you are the favorite. Here, the button put in 70 chips when you were the favorite, and 805 when you were a big underdog. You overbet your pair. This is probably a serious leak in your game, yet you call it a bad beat? Accept responsibility for your mistakes.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Since you didn't make a large bet preflop, you can't assume much about the button's hand. Ok, then you made a substantial bet on the flop. The button called. This means something. The button probably has an overpair or hit the flop (possibly with a draw; a flush draw and an OESD are possible). So, exactly why did you push on the turn? What better hands do you think will fold, or what worse hands do you think will call?

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Did you think about your bad position? Did you consider trying to check-raise the flop instead of betting out? If you play the same way postflop from the blinds as you do from late position, you are playing badly in at least one location.

You need to work on your game. When you improve, your results will almost certainly improve.