View Single Post
Old 06-16-2004, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Weird play begets weirder play

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure that limping in is a good play at the higher limit tables where people actually bother to check what the other players are running with but in the kind of game you described, chock full with limpers, it's just asking to get beaten.
I learnt this the hard way when I first checked my hands in PokerTracker and saw that AA was the biggest lossmaker I had..so bad it lost twice as much as the next worst hand. This wasn't too much of a surprise: twice in succession I'd had rockets busted by a guy making a runner-runner two pair! (weirdly, in both cases it was someone playing 92o in the seat after me).
It didn't take a Sklansky to realise my mistake was in limping in when I should have put the hammer down. Since then, I've managed to turn my rockets from my biggest loser into a profitmaker...it almost compensates for the immense amount of money I've handed out playing AQ.

It's low limits...raise with them aces!

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, I think that there are good times to try and limp raise with the rockets. Most of the time it is a raise.
Sometimes though, when #1 you are at a table that does not like to call your raises and you expect to just pick up the blinds by doing so and #2 the players do like to raise too aggressively behind you if you fold or limp... then it is a great way to pick up additional bets plus you usually get them pot committed with inferrior hands. This can get you into trouble if your read is wrong, but hey the rockets do not come with guarantees anyway.