View Single Post
Old 06-10-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Re: How truly soft is Party?

I'll echo what others have said that there is A LOT of very poor play, but the games are VERY aggressive and you will also run into several very good players at any table you sit at.

It's been a while since I read Jones, but I think a player trying to follow his "formula" at these table would have a very rough time. First, his book is intended for primarily loose-passive games which the Party 15/30 ones are definitely not. My impression is that the mistakes you see are not so much a whole bunch of players limping with complete trash as you might see at 1/2, but rather 1 or 2 players cold-calling 2- or even 3- bets cold with moderate trash. Still big mistakes, but it takes a different strategy to exploit it fully.

Also, I think there are some semi-advanced topics which are critical to success in these games which I don't think are covered in depth in Jones. Things like isolation plays, stealing and restealing, heads-up play with the blinds, when to make thin value bets and big laydowns and just generally making pretty substantial situational adjustments to basic strategy.

Perhaps a tightened up version of WLLHE strategy would be adequate to beat the game simply because of the number of maniac fish dumping cash into these games, but my guess is that a "Jones style" player, even with a fair amount of experience at low-limit tables would struggle in these games.