View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 08:43 AM

Default Short-stack question

Well, in the theory section, I've been thinking a lot about what hands are good enough for a short-stack all-in, and I'm fairly happy with the results on that.

But I am still very much undecided as to when "all-in or fold" mode needs to begin. So, I'd like to post a hypothetical example which is pretty typical for me in these situations:

I have KJo on the button, and a stack of 2,200. Blinds are at 100/200 with no antes. Full table with 9 players, and let's say we're somewhere in the middle of the tournament (roughly half the field is gone).

My current thinking in this situation is to give myself one more limp before going to "all-in or fold." Particularly if an MP player (or 2) had limped before me, I'd just limp myself. But I'd also be somewhat inclined to limp with that hand if it were folded around to me.

What do others think about this? The hand is imo reasonably strong in that position, but even if it's folded to me, I really hate to risk my whole tournament quite yet on that hand. So, what's the best move here--with and without a limper before you?

Also, how much does this situation change if there are antes involved? Let's assume the same stack-sizes and blinds but antes of 25 (I believe that's what they start at on Stars, although subsequently, the relationship of antes to blinds is smaller) over and above that. So the pot before cards are seen is now 525 rather than 300.

I'm still tempted to limp if it's folded to me in that situation, but I can also see a case both for folding and for moving in...

I'd love to hear how others handle this kind of scenario! Thanks!