View Single Post
Old 06-06-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Heading off a potential problem

[ QUOTE ]

The conventional wisdom is to play tight early on, but if the action is hot, then you need to get in there. Start mixing in middle suited connectors, like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. It's very refreshing, invigorating, and exciting. Not to mention, when those hands hit, you can cripple multiple players often. Sure, you will open yourself up to some potentially big losses, but if you shift gears (loose to tight), you will start throwing your opponents off, and they won't want to mess with you late in the tournament, which means that you might be able to pick up some nice blinds propel yourself into a heads-up match with ease.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I haven't really posted too much here, but I really disagree with everything you're saying here. The way I see it, you can almost guarentee yourself a top 5 place by not getting involved w/o a huge advantage early on. This coupled with a (very) tight image should allow you to steal blinds more liberally as you get closer to the money. The problem I see with your strategy, is that you're putting in chunks of chips with what may be the best of it, but may also be the worst of it. And then you're switching to tight when the blinds are getting higher? I'm rather confused how you can tighten up when the blinds are higher. Maybe if you've built a large stack you can tighten a bit, but if you've built a big stack by playing loose, there is very little chance people will allow you to steal.

What does everyone else think? Do I have my strategy completely backwards? Is it just a playing style thing?