View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 10:30 PM

Default Trying to plug some leaks

Here are a few hands from tonight that I think could've been played a lot better. Any help figuring out how to play these better would be much appreciated!

<font color="green">Hand #1</font>
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10.75 BB, between Hero, CO and UTG+1.</font>

Bet out on the flop since I almost always do after a preflop raise. The UTG+1 check-raise made me a little concerned, but I figure I have 7 clean outs (4 jacks for an inside straight, 3 Aces for an overpair) so I feel like it's a reasonable call. Should I be counting the aces as outs, or does the check-raise imply a stronger hand than just a pair?

On the turn the queen was an interesting card, it could possibly counterfeight my straight (split pot) if a jack comes on the river but at the same time may give me 2 extra outs for the river (Queens). And there's always the chance that nobody has a King and that I just made the best hand (or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to keep chasing that inside straight... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). How's the turn call?

I was happy to see the free showdown on the river.

<font color="green">Hand #2</font>
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12.25 BB, between BB, Hero and MP1.</font>

I think I may have played this hand much too passively. Is a 3-bet on the flop pretty standard? Then call down if capped or bet out the turn if he just calls?

<font color="green">Hand #3</font>
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (18.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (11.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (14.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 16.25 BB, between BB and MP1.</font>

Should this hand be tossed after being 3-bet preflop when the flop misses me and the 3-bettor bets out? This was one of those times when I wanted to throw away the hand but the calling station in me forced me to call it down [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

<font color="green">Hand #4</font>
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.75.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO (poster) calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 9.25 BB, between Hero and SB.</font>

Here's a situation that I get into a lot and that is probably costing me a lot of money. I raise preflop with big cards, and after the flop all that I have are overcards.

Should I be betting out on the flop here? I do pretty much 100% of the time, but then I'm not sure how often to follow up with bets on the turn/river.

How's the river bet especially? I wasn't sure what to put my opponent on, but I'd seen him show down some garbage so thought there was a chance that I might be ahead with my Ace high. Is the river bet -EV? Now that I think about it I can't see any hand worse than Ace high calling the bet. Should the river have been a check-fold?