View Single Post
Old 05-26-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Median Best Holdem Starting Hand

I think you're looking at the Median Hand Filip - which is not without merit itself. But what I'm looking for is the Median BEST Hand. In other words, deal out say 10 hands. Pick out the BEST of the 10 hands. The Median Best Hand is that hand such that there is a 50% chance the Actual Best Hand ranks higher and 50% chance the Actual Best Hand ranks lower.

If you're interested in calculating this for 1-9 hands, look at Aisthesis's first post. I think his method is sound and just requires some moderate calculations to do for the rest of the hands numbers. Aisthesis came up with a Median Best Hand being that ranked 110 out of 1326. Using the Sklansky-Malmuth hand rankings he then went through all card combinations making up the top ranked hands and determined the 110 ranked hand in that system is ATo. I believe this is the Median Best Hand dealt to 8 players - Aisthesis viewing it as an observer sitting at a 9 player game thinking about the Median Best Hand of his opponents.

I guess if no one else wants to carry forward Aisthesis method for all the cases 1-9 I will get around to doing it eventually, But it would be great if you'd give it a shot Filip. Thanks for the interest.

PairTheBoard