View Single Post
Old 05-22-2004, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Strategy for $1/$2 blinds in $4/$8 game

[ QUOTE ]
Even fearing a raise, it's only $6 into a $4/$8 game, not bad holding 87s in a multiway pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will need to gage how the PF betting goes. These small suited connectors are especially good in multiway pots, but the few $1/$2 blind games that I played in had a tendency of really getting narrowed down when a raise is put in. If you expect a raise, don't play them early because these pots may not be too multiway.

Say you're in the BB w/ 87s and there are four limps to button who raises. SB fold and its up to you. w/ a regular blind structure its an easy call--there will be plenty of players to pay you the one in 10 times or so it hits you pretty hard. That is bc. in a regular blind structure the pot is so big that it would be crazy not to put another bet in and see the flop. W/ a $2 big blind in a 4/8 game you could lose 3 out of four of the limpers. It happens. Not at all tables but you will be able to tell.

My advise is to be a little more liberal in your limps and much more tight in your calling of PF raises.

Also I think raising standard should be more liberal w/ big cards in position and medium pairs. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but here it is ok to raise 3 limpers w/ KJo if you think that you will lose a couple of them. I am sure of this though, pay careful attention to pre-flop play, how you adjust to it will make a huge difference in your results. You will see big hands shown down in the pots w/ 7 limpers and lots of people calling bets w/ otherwise reasonable hands that have no chance here.

I, personally think that structure sucks, but maybe it is bc. I haven't adjusted to it well enough. I'm not sure why it is so popular in vegas. I guess it is so the retirees can come, drink free tea, play tight as frogpussy and wait for novices who want action. Those old bones keep the games going.

I would recomend a game in a room that has big blinds=small bet. (Mirage, Bellagio, Sahara?) There are some left. Maybe someone else can help if you wanted to play somewhere else.

Have fun,

PT