View Single Post
Old 05-18-2004, 08:03 AM

Default Re: $60k in 60 Days -- Days 4 & 5

There comes a time in every life where you have to move out on your own and be your own person. At 20 (or whatever age you are) it’s hard to see when that time is. From my 37-year-old perspective it’s pretty obvious you have reached that point. You can’t let your parents make your decisions anymore. You have to establish that now and firmly or it doesn’t ever end. Your mom will try to pick your job, your wife, basically your life. Breaking away is never easy and there can be some hard feelings, but they will still love you and you them. My mom isn’t crazy about my playing poker for a living, but I have my own house and my own family, she doesn’t have any control over it, so she doesn’t say much. You need to take a bit of the money and get an apartment. After you move out, when it comes up at dinner again politely say “I just came over to enjoy some time with you guys, lets not argue” and change the topic. If that doesn’t work don’t go over for awhile. You can train parents pretty quick, because once you move out you have all the control. Taking a crap job 10 hours a week won’t fix the problem. Moving out will and it is cheaper. Good luck man, we’ve all been there.

Steve