View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Armchair Psychiatrist needed: managing mood swings & tilt factor?

As a real life psychologist, I will say that there is no simple solution to your dilemma, since you seem to be responding from a position of emotional immaturity (no disrespect intended).

What is your clinical definition of "emotional immaturity", as a psychiatrist? I respect the fact that you have spent many years learning about the diseased mind, as a psychiatrist. Maybe you can describe an emotionally mature person. This is a complete revelation, for me, I guess. I have always considered myself fairly emotionally "evolved". I would love to hear why you assume that I am not "emotionally mature". (no disrespect intended)

If you truly can steam for "several days," and you also allegedly are "pretty in tune" with your emotions, then you may well realize that you are overreacting to having your strong entitlement feelings thwarted (i.e. "I can't believe he cracked my AA with that T8o garbage!").

I guess this is where everything allegedly breaks down, perhaps. I am not steaming because "I can't believe he cracked my AA with that T8o garbage!". I am actually often steaming because of a dispute with a family member, or difficulty with various other relationships. I do get upset about the cards "sometimes", but it is only a fraction of the big picture, and is something I can manage. There is plenty of other stuff that sets me off on a daily basis. I know I need to regulate some of these problems, before I sit down and play some serious poker. But, I play poker, to kinda forget about my problems for a while... It is a catch-22. I think things will sort themselves out eventually. But in the meantime, how do I just check my problems at the door? This is the issue, I think. I guess I was vague in my original post, or I just didn't know at the time. But, when I start steaming about a particular hand, I am really steaming about my [censored] roommate that is trying to ruin my life, or some other problem. Do you get my drift?

Although there is no speedy way to develop emotional maturity, some things you can do are:
1. Remind yourself that having good starting cards do not entitle you to win the pot;
2. Remind yourself that the players from whom you receive bad beats are the ones from whom you win money in the long run;
3. Remind yourself that what is important is for you to play well--if you do this, the money will eventually flow your way;
4. Read The Tao of Poker.

Good advice for anyone, in fact. I've done this advice, and read the articles, etc. I know you mean well with the good advice, but it is really too much of a "cookie cutter" advice. I am starting to wonder more and more about the "pills" that was suggested by zuluking. What is your professional advice about the "pills"?

Good luck to you!

chesspain

Thanks, and good luck to you too! Do you play chess?

--Cents