View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Play of AK for big pot

Thanks for the responses. Like I said, I think my fold on the river was correct, but I'm pretty sure my play up until then was weak to get me into that situation. $15 into the $35 pot was probably too small with the draw out there, and then with the $70 pot on the turn I could have even pushed all in for the $100 my opponents had.

As for the rest of the night...
I eventually lost my stack after a bad call when I thought a guy was putting a move on the pot. I rebought, worked my stack up to about $200, and then made the best play of my young poker career. Beware this is basically just me bragging, sorry! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm in the small blind with KK, and after three limpers, I raise to $10. The big blind reraises me to 25, all fold, and after contemplating pushing all in, I realize I might be beaten. I just call preflop.

Flop comes 2 3 5 rainbow, and I check. BB bets $50, and I think for a while and muck. BB shows the bullets. A couple months ago I would have doubled this guy up on this hand, as his stack was about $150.

Anyways, all those chips I saved became huge about an hour later. Playing five handed, my 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] came with a flop of A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and for no apparent reason, the preflop raiser moved all in with his stack of $240 into a $45 pot, and I took it all because I had him covered. He didn't show his cards, but when he left the consensus at the table was that there was no cards he could have had that would make that a good play. It didn't hit me until later that I would have only gotten about $50 out of that pot if I hadn't folded the kings.

Anyways, lesson learned with the AK, would have been a nice pot.

Take care,
Justin A